Quite a large update changing the rivers generation.
- Visible river width depends on the streamflow (discharge) of water flowing in it.
- All geographical features data are now in EPSG:3785 projection (Mercator).
- In addition to rivers as multipoligons in rivers shapefile, there are also rivers as 3D-multilinestrings with z coordinate in riversz shapefile. The latter is a schematic representation of the river system trees.
New example planet added. Also corrected and expanded the tutorial on making a map in the equirectangular projection.
Finally, I came to use maps for planet modeling. Using a popular tree.js library I intend to show all new planet maps on the sphere model, along with the flat tile map. Textures for spherical models are made from image maps in the equirectangular projection. Texture files are located in the appropriate planet directories (/planets/<planetNo>/equirectangular.png and /planets/<planetNo>/equirectangular-big.png).
In the tutorials section I added a new tutorial on making maps in the equirectangular projection.
The changes mainly relate to the generation of the relief.
- The way of local relief generation in rhombuses is changed. This significantly reduces the likelihood of undesirable crevices and ridges.
- Vertical relief scaling; relief features are of different size depending on the height of the terrain. The parameters of the fractal are still constant everywhere.
- Eartherization process now done separately for each landmass, and not for the whole planet. (Eartherization is making the statistical distribution of planet heights close to that on Earth)
- The maximum height on each landmass is defined by the function of the landmass size. Currently it is the square root of the landmass size.
- New color map style.
- Fixed bug with rivers because of which strange lakes near the rivers were made.
- Fixed bug in sea coastline making which manifested itself in cutting off coasts.
- Noise functions for global mesh
- Ancient Alien Civilization (AAC) algorithm realization
Haskell PostGIS DB driver is now open source.
On the planet Vitruvian Man there is only one mainland and it was made with the Ancient Alien Civilization method. In contrast to the planet Mandelbrot there is smaller grid step for the noise function and sea level slightly elevated.
The input polygon for the continent is the contour of the part of the widely known image.